Thread: 1st Bad Meeting
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Joe Nerv

There's a reason most rooms don't allow crosstalk. This is it. As much as I like to believe I'm beyond this type of stuff, had your experience happened to me, I'd be pissed too. And there's a good chance it would come haunt me just a wee bit the next morning upon waking up. Rather than kick myself even more by agonizing why I let it get to me, I try to ease up on myself. We're alcoholics, we're sensitive, this is a part of what makes us what we are, and it's ok. To drink over something like that is definitely NOT OK, and you did that part right. Congratulations, and good for you.

When I was in rehab, I had a jerk roomate who had been around AA for a bunch of years before picking up. He knew a lot, I knew nothing, and I therefore respected him to a certain degree. He enjoyed taking my inventory, and told me a bunch of reasons why I wasn't going to stay sober. And he was pretty sure of it. I used the anger he stirred up as fuel. I held onto the things he said for quite a while, took what made sense and eventually got rid of the rest, but used it in my determination to NOT drink. I was determined to prove this guy wrong. I absolutely have.

Thinking back on that now, I have no resent towards that guy at all. He helped me a lot, and though he pissed me off and said things that weren't his business, I do think his intentions were good. I've a feeling the woman at your meeting last night's intentions were also good.

Last note. When I came into the program crosstalk was not only allowed, it was expected. A person qualified, and then responded to everyone else who shared at the meeting. There were certain things about that I actually enjoyed. Surely made for some colorful and interesting meetings.