Old 01-21-2005, 03:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Andy F

Hi Wild1

I think you raise genuine issues. Unfortunately, if your newly sober, you may find it hard to stand up to the overwhelming consensus in AA that claims you must have some form of spirituality etc.

The AA steps are derived from religious principles and practices. Does taking the makers badge off a car fundamentally change the car? No, it's the same car, but with the identifying badge taken off. Spirituality as defined in the 12 steps is in a religious/supernatural sense, as distinct from just meaning human emotion. I know many fine people in AA who have altered the definition of what is 'spiritual' to suit themselves. And rightly so.

Fortunately there is a get-out clause in AA. It's the tradition that says the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. Even without that tradition, noone has any rights in AA to tell you what you ought to believe.

You can go to smart recovery and AA if you want to. You can believe in God or not as it makes sense to you. I personally go to AA, but follow cognitive methods of getting well. I am 22 years sober and appreciate the pressure some well meaning, but wilful members may apply to you.

I am not 'over a barrel' where alcohol is concerned and thereby forced to believe in God. Admitting that I need human help and guidance and that I am not God does not in itself prove the existence of God or the need to hand my will over to it.

If I ever decide to believe in a more personal/supernatural God it will be because I have chosen to, not because I feel I have no choice. It is unlikeley to have anything to do with my need to stop drinking.

Best wishes

Andy F