Old 10-21-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Leshar

Hi Fallion,

Welcome to SR!

Although you said this:
Posting here doesn't seem to have helped much so far but thanks for the replies everyone!
I really recommend that you stick around and read/post more.

I'll just say that the replies to your post have helped me, and I think that's how this site works in so many ways. We all learn and may help one another through our various life experiences.

I think the "high-functioning" category is a bit of an illusory concept, in my opinion. Sadly, as others have attested, things have a way of catching up to one. I wish I was your age again, knowing what I now know! (I'm 55)

It's great that you're exceptional at your job. Does that fulfill you? Do you enjoy your work? If so, perhaps sans booze you might take it to an even greater level! It sounds to me as though you don't know what else might fulfill you, that life is "boring". Perhaps if you even took a break from alcohol, you might explore things that give you pleasure, perhaps even find something you could become passionate about.

With regard to your original question, my motivation was to stop feeling stuck and sad all the time, alcohol controlled me, it became my only "friend".

Inspiration has come, thankfully, to me through finding this wonderful site, seeing an addiction service, and reading lots of books on alcoholism/recovery.

Good luck, and I wish you the best!