Old 10-21-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Threshold
Grateful to be free

From your posts it sounds as if you don't have much of a life, for all the things you have, job, money, smarts...it's not satisfying. It's "meh"...so why bother to do much of anything? You do it because it seems the thing to do...seems like you should stop drinking...but no real motivation.

I wanted a life. To stay stopped drinking, I had to pick up my pieces and put my life back together into something I wanted to live. I stopped because I didn't want to be a pathetic drunk and addict, but then...I needed to put my life back together as well as add some new things.

It could be that you have depression (which drinking only adds to) and so have little feeling about anything. Depression very often does not manifest as sadness or despair, but rather as numbness or disinterest in life.

Some people would say it is a lack of any "spiritual" dimension in your life. Spiritual not meaning religious, but a sense of purpose in life. This is sort of a philosophical thing. If this is life, with no afterlife (I also believe that) then how do I want to spend it? To me the fact that this IS life makes me want to live it and feel it to the fullest. Not just the "thrills" because those are always fleeting, but to be present and experience every moment.

That is what motivated me to finally say "enough", shed my addictions and get on with living.