Old 10-21-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
digdug

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Welcome!

I was a lot like you. I drank every day after work, but for years, I had no consequences; no incentive to stop.

I was good at my job, so money wasn't an issue. I always got good performance reviews so it wasn't affecting my work. I had a girlfriend, but I didn't drink to excess in front of her so she had no idea the extent of my alcoholism. I was a loner too so the friend issue didn't bother me. I had a good relationship with my family. I had no legal issues. I was healthy. I worked out every day and my doctor had no idea about my drinking because my tests and exams were always normal.

But as others have noted, this is a progressive disease The withdrawals got worse and worse, so I had to drink more and more to stave them off. But people would still have no idea I was intoxicated. I had no slurred speech. No cognitive dysfunction. But I got to the point where I drank mostly not to feel sick.

And then my body just gave out. I went through in unintentional detox (was too sick to make it to the liquor store) and ended up in the ICU on life support. That was motivation enough for me to never drink again.

I wish I would have stopped sooner. I knew I had a problem long before the end. But I didn't care because nothing "bad" was resulting from my drinking.

But if you are an alcoholic, the bad things will come. Probably when you least expect it. It's really inevitable. Sad, but true.