View Single Post
Old 10-19-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Seren
Forum Leader

For the parents...daily support thread

Hi everyone,

I wanted to start a thread today as sort of a daily support for the parents/stepparents/grandparents whose children or grandchildren are struggling with addiction.

I'll start as briefly as possible with my own story.

I married a man whose son is an alcoholic and crack addict, primarily, although he has been known to take whatever he can get his hands on. My stepson's story is a long one of evictions, homeless shelters, jails, prisons, violent encounters with dealers, and so on.

Last year around this time he finally asked to go to rehab after friends found him wandering the city streets where he lives in full blown DTs. He went to rehab, lived in a SLH for a while, got a job, and moved into his own apartment--not fancy, but his.

We just heard from him last night, and he has been fired from his job because of his own actions. We don't know if drinking spurred these actions. He did not volunteer that information, and we did not ask.

Time will reveal more.....and yes, it is painful and sad to just sit with this new information. But thankfully we are not in a tizzy about any of it because we have been through this before and know that panic never makes any situation better. For now, Mr. Seren and I wait, and watch, and think about what we may or may not be willing to do for him if he asks.

Hugs to all, and much love to the parents!
S