View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  
SarahLanter

Let me share some news — a sort of major minor victory. I joined this group on the 10th, last Thurs I think. Just the day before (Wed) I drank a half a fifth of vodka and probably a dozen beers. I couldn't sleep, my heart was racing and I was so weak I couldn't walk across the room without it pounding. I was nauseated every morning, consumed by dry heaves and couldn't even entertain the idea of food. I knew that if I didn't reverse things I would die.

I knew I couldn't go cold turkey (too dangerous) and began to look for a detox center that would accept medicare. In the meantime I vowed to get off the vodka: that was my main goal. Thur morning I woke up and poured out the vodka, started a regime of vitamins C, B complex and B3, magnesium and calcium to prevent seizures. Frankly, I felt like ****.

And I began to talk to you. There wasn't one day I would call easy but each day was better. My sleep was better and I didn't wake up in a panic with a racing heart. Since Thurs I have had no vodka and I've cut my beer consumption in half. In the next week I'll give up the beer entirely. This has been a really good day.

Now, let me say this. Giving up the booze is a victory of sorts, but that's when the hard work really begins. Relapse is caused by sobriety-based symptoms. As hard as it is to kick alcohol addiction we've all done it hundreds of times. The trick is in staying sober.