View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  
hypochondriac

Nice shoes

I am not sure fighting it is the way. Acceptance was always the key thing with me, then you don't have to fight. And I think we probably all qualify as impulsive/compulsive...? I react a lot. I am learning to think a bit before hand now (I got that from AVRT really), but it doesn't require tons of insight and self reflective qualities, just recognising thoughts of drinking as part of an addiction rather than this thing we must act on right now or bad stuff will happen... cos that's how it feels sometimes but it always always passes.

For me it wasn't changing my routine so much as figuring out why I drank in the first place, and I don't mean in a 'mommy never hugged me' kinda way, more of an understanding of addictive behaviour. That plus just support and working on all the other sh*t in my life. That has nothing to do with drinking but I have realised that a big part of my addictive behaviour was trying to avoid difficult emotions or just normal life stuff. I am an avoider. For me sobriety isn't about total vigilance around alcohol, more just being able to make improvements in my life because I am not avoiding it any more.

Just don't stop trying Hux and you'll get it xxx

Sorry you've been sick INH. Though I have to say I have always enjoyed being sick and sober. Something about actively trying to make myself feel better rather than trying to drown it in whisky is very satisfying.

I don't know why you'd see telling people stuff like that imposing your weakness...? It ain't a weakness. Besides, who among us hasn't got thoughts we'd rather not say out loud... it is freeing to get rid of them. Pile your dookie here dude