View Single Post
Old 10-11-2013, 04:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hawkeye13

No program or counseling of any kind. Just a paradigm shift in thinking. A moment when it became absolutely clear to me that if I kept on going I would lose everything. I would waste my life lost in alcohol as my mother had. She was the first to warn me I had the gene and the upbringing. I finally accepted that she was right about that and that was the end of drinking for me. Too bad she didn't live to see it.

I tried again to be a moderate drinker last month but I got it pretty quickly that that would never be an option for me. I have been on this site for about three weeks now (first 10 days as a lurker) and it is the first "support" I have gotten. I really do appreciate being able to talk with people who really do know what addiction is in all its ugly glory. It's a "brothers-in-arms" feeling to know that you all know exactly why we pick up the drink when we shouldn't, and the absolute joy of putting it down for good. I can't share that with the people around me, and until I came here it was only in my journal and mostly unvoiced.