View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Aren

New to the place

Hello, my name is Aren and I'm new to the forums and the site. I've come for advice, support and for a place to go where I can learn more about people like myself and know I'm not alone in this.

Firstly, I'm 28, military. I was married when I was 24 and then divorced at 26. During this time, I found that my relationship with my husband got to the point where I had to drink when he was around just to tolerate him (he also drank a lot). Before him, I was only a social drinker, once or twice a month.

When we divorced, I retained my drinking habits and they've only gotten worse. Since, I've been able to drink a magnum of wine a night. I've also packed on 20 pounds because of it and this makes me feel terrible about myself, so of course I don't go anywhere.

I go to work, come home, drink, do the same thing.

Anyway, I'm 3 days sober now and would like some advice and just to get to know people in my situations. I can't go to anyone at work, since saying anything about it will be in my record forever with the military.

Recently I met a guy I like and have gone on a few dates (which I haven't done in over a year). I like him, but my insecurities are getting in the way -and- I'm worried we'll go out and I'll have to explain to him why I'm not ordering a drink.

Any advice would be great and thank you for welcoming me