View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
zombiebbq

Checking in on another day drink free...currently at school right now waiting for a class to begin, so staying out of trouble
Pumpkin- thanks for your comments yesterday. I'm happy to know there's another girl my age who's taking this journey around the same time I am. My best friend has pledged alot of support, including going to AA meetings with me (her dad has been an active AA member and sponser for over 25 years). And i have my boyfriend too...but in the end I don't know anyone who is specifically working on quitting drinking.
Driver- thanks for the encouragement. Not only was the accident itself and my decision to drink and drive a huge wake up call...my parents (and other members of both sides of my family) have been "functioning" alcoholics for over a decade. Heck, both my parents also got DUI's...in the late 70s when the penalty was more a slap on the wrist and couldn't haunt you forever. I know alcoholism is strong within my genes and if this hadn't happened now I could have easily slipped down that slope. So although I am distraught and angry at myself...I know in the end I did my health and my future a big favor by working on my sobriety.
Anyone else thinking of going to AA? I have never been, not sure what to expect...especially since I know I don't just want to get support for my own struggles but also how to deal with the alcoholics I have in my life. Hope everyone is staying strong!