View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 05:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bigsombrero

I agree with many here - stay out of the pubs, man.

I've said this before, but when I first got out of treatment I went straight to a pub and ordered a meal. Didn't drink, but sat right at the bar. For some reason I thought "I'll need to start going to bars sober - might as well start now". It's amazing, thinking back on it. My first thought was "how can I handle myself in a pub?"

Why did I do this? Because I'm an alcoholic! We can't see the forest for the trees. The simple answer is: you don't go to a pub. Not early on, especially. When I realized how much easier that decision made sobriety, I am 15 months sober. There is no reason you should be putting yourself into this kind of situation - in my opinion. Sure, some folks say they can handle it. But some folks can hold their breath for 5 minutes underwater too - doesn't mean we all should try it. Ask anyone with long-term sobriety if they were going to pubs in their early days and see what kind of answers you get.

Mourning the loss of social activity in pubs and bars is one of the big hurdles you have to get over. In my experience, I had to grieve and mourn over that loss (It WAS a loss) and put it behind me and move forward. If you're not ready to face that reality yet, simply say "not this time" and take it one day at a time. Good luck, regardless of your choice.