Old 10-07-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
DoubleDragons

It is funny because before I ever considered giving up drinking, I would think how terrible it would be if my husband decided to stop drinking. My husband is not an alcoholic, but we liked the party scene in our younger days (we met in college) and we always drank on the weekends together before I decided to quit drinking. My husband likes beer and his second choice would be white wine, which neither appeal to me (red wine was always my poison of choice). I asked him to stick to beer for a while because I could see myself getting "desperate" and resorting to white wine. He has drunk a couple of beers here and there when watching sports (which I don't spend much time doing with him anyway), but he really has cut down even more since I quit. I told him I don't want him to do that and I asked him if it bothered him that I was quitting (and I even admitted that in earlier years it would have bothered me if he had quit when I hadn't). He said that we were younger he thinks it would bother him more, but that he really likes the healthy changes we have made in our lives (we started eating healthier and going to yoga together) and that he wants both of us to be respected role models to our children (three of whom are teenagers.) So, I guess I am pretty lucky in these regards. We have a lot of alcoholism on both sides of our family so the warning signs have been flashing for a long time.