Thread: What IF....
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
fairlyuncertain

I've been there. My A got into recovery, it was all peaches and sunshine and i felt a glimmer of hope--turns out, A's sometimes faithfully attend AA meetings and spout recovery quotes--and still continue to drink and lie!

If your A was saying stuff like, "as soon as she loses weight/changes her nose/has a baby/accepts Jesus/etc, etc--THEN we will be able to have a good love relationship," you'd run for the hills. Because love is accepting what IS, and embracing it.

What Al-Anon taught me is that no one else's changes are going to change my attitudes. It's my own choice. I chose to look at my A AS HE IS NOW, and ask myself if I could accept the reality of his temper, relapses, dishonesty and erratic behavior--and his unwillingness to seek help. NO.
He deserves to be around people who accept him exactly as he chooses to be. Whether it's the fellowship of AA or the regulars at the bar, is his choice. I just know it's not me.
I wish you the best, and highly recommend the sticky threads here, and al-anon meetings. They did wonders for me.