View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013, 04:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
AllThings

Plenty,

There are so many here who understand. For some it's our spouses, for others parents, for other kids... But we all understand the pain. In my case it's my husband. He is everything I wanted when he's sober, nothing I even want to be near when he's not. It's terrible. It's insanely difficult to watch your mate progressively kill themselves. I dare say it's even harder when they "get sober" for a few months, turn back in to who you thought they were, and then spin on you and become the raging alcoholic again. My AH knows he has a terrible problem, can get 30, 60, 90 day ... Even six months, sober time and then will spend months and months sneaking drinks. It is so heartbreaking to watch, even when your friend realizes she has a problem she may not be able to get it right. Having a nearly unlimited supply of money makes it that much harder, trust me.

Everyone here is also right about boundaries. I am no good at making any that I stick to, but I am working with a therapist and G-d willing I am going to very soon. The boundaries are for YOU. If you chose to not take calls between 11pm and 6am, then that is a boundary that everyone, alcoholic or not, should respect. We all need out sleep, this is not unreasonable. I have set this boundary with everyone. (It's actually one I DO keep, huh..). With the exception of my mother, who is taking care of my 83 year old dad in poor health, I have even set my phone to not receive calls between those hours. The do not disturb function on my phone has saved me from many nights when AH made bad choices.

Be kind to yourself. What do they say, you didn't cause it and you cannot control it. I am going to check out alanon as soon as I recover from my surgery yesterday. I know I need it, FOR ME.

Best of luck for you.