View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kindeyes

Instead of trying to get him to move, is it possible for you to just move out? Tell the landlord you're not on the lease anymore and move into a new apartment?
I was thinking the same thing. I'm not sure if it's possible to request to be removed from a lease but until you ask, you don't know. Perhaps he can stay in the apartment and you can leave it to the landlord to deal with if he doesn't pay.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. Sometimes it just gets to that point that enough is enough and that's ok. Most of those who have reached that point have, like you, done a lot to try to work with their addicted spouse/loved one. If the spouse cooperates and gets help, I think it's great when spouses stand by the addict. An addict who wants recovery and is working to achieve it can be encouraged with the support and love of family. But there are always limits......and each of us reach those limits when we do.

There is no shame in staying with an addict seeking recovery. There is no shame in leaving an addict who remains in active addiction. Ultimately, it is a very individual thing and we all deserve the right to find serenity.....whether the addict continues to use or not.

Take care of you.

gentle hugs
ke