Old 09-29-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Amajorityofone

I was released from Jail on August 20, 2012.

Counting days has never made much sense to me. This is something people do when they're in the "prison" of sobriety. I prefer to look at it from the perspective of "freedom" from alcoholism. Thus, no need to count. I have found keeping a clean and sober journal to be far more beneficial.

How do I feel? Up and down like everyone else, I suppose, just more grown up. Sharper. Cleaner. Wealthier. More refined, if you will. Life is far more undulating than most people realize. Sobriety reduces the extremes of our highs and lows, but, like the wind which comes out of nowhere, those highs and lows are still there, and they always will be.

I'll never drop LSD and ride a roller coaster or find myself in the middle of a sprinkled joint laced with cocaine being passed around. Both of which I thoroughly enjoyed. On the other hand, I don't associate with people that drink, drunk text, make a fool out of myself or worry about getting pulled over on my motorcycle when I'm doing 80 in a 55 anymore either.

Its a package deal, and I accept that.

The day I stopped drinking was more like a road to damascus moment. I was walking in one direction, got hit with a lightening bolt of bad news, said "I'm done", and started walking in another direction. No AA, no counseling, no nuthin. Just clarity. I've been putting one foot in front of the other, albeit painfully slowly, ever sense.

My one piece of advice would be live each day as a separate life; not putting any energy into yesterday, which is in death's hands, or any into tomorrow, which will never be guaranteed.

Good day