Old 09-26-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
BlueSkies1

You want to help him. You love him.
Don't we all.
If a person is truly unhappy with themselves, do they really need or want the help of others to change who they are?
On the surface, it may appear so.
But I tell you, every time a person changes their life, and who they are, they do so by themselves, and for themselves.
If our will to change someone else was productive, then we would all be crazy running around this planet changing each other.
The truth is simpler. Every time a person wants to change, they do. Every time a person doesn't want to change, they don't.
And it all comes from within themselves, not from our idealistic "love".
As Tina Turner said, What's love got to do with it?
Nothing.
Love from another is beautiful! But it doesn't have a darn thing to do with people giving up alcohol, except perhaps, when they realize they don't have any love from any person on the planet. Essentially cut off from all love. I mean having used up and been rejected from every single source of love they can find.
Then there's the epiphany.

People who are addicted to alcohol give it up when they hurt from its effects very very very badly. I can't stress the very badly enough. Yeah, that badly. Like the worst feeling inside themselves imaginable badly.
And never before.
You can love him until pigs fly.
He will love alcohol until his pain is severe. Not melodramatically severe, but truthfully severe.
Not like love.
But pain.
Love doesn't seem to cure alcoholism. Pain does.