Old 09-25-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
thislonelygirl
box of chocolates

I know that I love him enough to help him - even as a friend. I think it'll be a struggle but I want to try. I just don't know where to start!*

-[you didnt cause it . You cant control it and you cant cure it.
You can support him by learning about addiction . Sr is a good place to start and by being healthy and learning to detach. Helping yourself You can give him the info to get well but he has to want too.

He is also off with some friends on the weekend and they're all planning to get totally drunk and do as many drugs as possible. (He's also an avid weed smoker daily too but there'll be white stuff I'm sure).*

-he is choosing to do that. He is his own person and he makes the decision to get well or stay sick.
You cant do that for him. If and when hes ready....if he ever is ready he will need to make the decision to let those people go and to drop all drug use

And should I just give up drinking when I'm with him? (I'm totally happy to do that, it wouldn't bother me). I normally stay up with him if I have stayed sober and try and drag him at bed at 2/3am! Should I just leave him and go by myself at a reasonable time?*

-if your tired go to bed. By dragging him to bed you are protecting him from the consequences of drinking.he has to see the cause and effect of his drug amd alcohol use.
I stopped drinking a long time ago ....if you wamt to drink ok but I would suggest NOT doing so around him . Addicts like to blame game .