View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Nuudawn

We are a sensitive lot

I do believe I may be stealing my title straight out of Big Book text. Although I am not utilizing AA as part of my recovery, Bill W's sage words suddenly came to my mind in viewing another thread here.

The mod's here to an exhausting job of keeping this place a warm and welcoming place. I know early on in my time here I got my sensitive, newly sober nose completely out of joint when Dee removed one of my posts. At the time, I felt like punching him in the head (hee hee). In hindsight I now know why.

A big part of sobriety is learning how to be a grown up which includes not imposing our will on others...and well, knowing when to shut the heck up sometimes.

I recently got very frustrated myself on here lately and noticed a pretty sharp edge coming out in some of my posts. For me, that meant it was time to "shut the heck up". I had to take some time to regroup and recharge and let others support when I could not.

All of us here trying to stay sober have some pretty frazzled nerves, low frustration tolerance and well sorry...a whole lot of immature ways of behaving. We spent years running to something outside of ourselves like a baby clamoring for its soother.

Emotional regulation is a completely foreign language to us.

This is newcomers...most of us come here trembling and fretting and despising ourselves. We don't need a new reason to beat ourselves up.

The moderators are doing an exhausting job they have volunteered for.

Show a little respect where its definitely due.