Notices

We are a sensitive lot

Old 09-25-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

We are a sensitive lot

I do believe I may be stealing my title straight out of Big Book text. Although I am not utilizing AA as part of my recovery, Bill W's sage words suddenly came to my mind in viewing another thread here.

The mod's here to an exhausting job of keeping this place a warm and welcoming place. I know early on in my time here I got my sensitive, newly sober nose completely out of joint when Dee removed one of my posts. At the time, I felt like punching him in the head (hee hee). In hindsight I now know why.

A big part of sobriety is learning how to be a grown up which includes not imposing our will on others...and well, knowing when to shut the heck up sometimes.

I recently got very frustrated myself on here lately and noticed a pretty sharp edge coming out in some of my posts. For me, that meant it was time to "shut the heck up". I had to take some time to regroup and recharge and let others support when I could not.

All of us here trying to stay sober have some pretty frazzled nerves, low frustration tolerance and well sorry...a whole lot of immature ways of behaving. We spent years running to something outside of ourselves like a baby clamoring for its soother.

Emotional regulation is a completely foreign language to us.

This is newcomers...most of us come here trembling and fretting and despising ourselves. We don't need a new reason to beat ourselves up.

The moderators are doing an exhausting job they have volunteered for.

Show a little respect where its definitely due.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In rereading this...perhaps I am guilty of postulating. I hate that.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

dunno - sounds good to me

postulating present participle of pos·tu·late (Verb)

Verb

Suggest or assume the existence, fact, or truth of (something) as a basis for reasoning, discussion, or belief.
I love this place - and the people.

I want to help people who are just like me - that's why I accepted the job when it was offered to me all those years ago.

I know part of the job is to enforce the rules - but it's not the part I actually enjoy, and frankly I get narky when I spend too little time helping new people, and way too much time sorting out things I know could be sorted out without me with just a little bit of thought and consideration.

so...harrumph

thanks for the post Nuu

D
Old 09-25-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Think she meant posturing.

Nah, your post is right on, Nuudawn. I have had a few little clashes here myself. After some reflection, I remember that I went through a little bit of those type of issues in rehab as well.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
When dealing with communicating with another person, my sponsor always points out:

1. Does it really need to be said?

2. Does it really need to be said by me?

3. Does it really need to be said by me now?
Old 09-25-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are right Nuudawn - it is fine to get reminded of this.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, I liked it, too, Dee.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

None of us is perfect. I can be too caustic and argumentative. I have stubborn views on some issues or topics, and I can tend to dig in my heals and try to "prove" I'm right. Well, what's "right" for me isn't always "right" for others. And even if I am technically correct, I do believe there is always a way to make the same point with tact and civility.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
I do believe I may be stealing my title straight out of Big Book text. Although I am not utilizing AA as part of my recovery, Bill W's sage words suddenly came to my mind in viewing another thread here.

The mod's here to an exhausting job of keeping this place a warm and welcoming place. I know early on in my time here I got my sensitive, newly sober nose completely out of joint when Dee removed one of my posts. At the time, I felt like punching him in the head (hee hee). In hindsight I now know why.

A big part of sobriety is learning how to be a grown up which includes not imposing our will on others...and well, knowing when to shut the heck up sometimes.

I recently got very frustrated myself on here lately and noticed a pretty sharp edge coming out in some of my posts. For me, that meant it was time to "shut the heck up". I had to take some time to regroup and recharge and let others support when I could not.

All of us here trying to stay sober have some pretty frazzled nerves, low frustration tolerance and well sorry...a whole lot of immature ways of behaving. We spent years running to something outside of ourselves like a baby clamoring for its soother.

Emotional regulation is a completely foreign language to us.

This is newcomers...most of us come here trembling and fretting and despising ourselves. We don't need a new reason to beat ourselves up.

The moderators are doing an exhausting job they have volunteered for.

Show a little respect where its definitely due.
What do you mean by that?!
Old 09-25-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
In rereading this...perhaps I am guilty of postulating. I hate that.
I can't get through an hour without a good postulation.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by digdug View Post
When dealing with communicating with another person, my sponsor always points out:

Can I use this on my FB status too? lol. and make it a sticky here and in EVERY other place in my house, life etc because WOW...says it all!

Old 09-25-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I appreciate your post so much Nuudawn.

We all have different styles & ways of expressing ourselves. It would be boring if everyone was the same, & we wouldn't really learn much. The trick is to keep things from boiling over when the (much needed) rules are broken. I'm not good at stepping into those situations, but thankfully others are.

Thank you Nuu.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by digdug View Post

Good stuff. I read something else recently that said something about "learning to hold my tongue allowed me to be more intentional rather than defensive".

And thanks Foolsgold...I did mean posturing : )
Old 09-25-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm not too bothered by snarky comments. I expect some snark when I posted that I got drunk and called my parents two nights ago. I would not expect this group to say "hey way to go". I did have one comment that bothered me a bit, but when I asked the poster about it, it wasn't at all what I had originally thought they meant. And although I don't agree with every reply on my posts, I think about every single one of them. I firmly believe that what people say to me here, they come from a place of experience, and genuinely mean the best. I know that I am not personally where I should be in sobriety, but thank Jesus I have people who understand to talk to about it.

So for that, I say thanks SR!!

Thanks NUU!
Old 09-25-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I always appreciate the kick in the pants I receive here on SR. Sometimes I have responded in a negative way, but I always learn something from the tough love. But when I feel so alone and vulnerable it is hard to get shut down on the internet. People can say things in text they would never say facing someone, so I don't know.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Closest I could find:

We alcoholics are sensitive people. It takes some of us a long time to outgrow that serious handicap.
The Big Book page 125.

On a sidebar, here is a neat tool I use, the searchable big book:

AA Alcoholics Big Book Search
Old 09-25-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Nuu I think you're eloquent and often say the things I want to say, but lack the tact to

The modes aren't thanked enough. We are actually a pretty koombaya group. And this is a forum fir alcoholics and addicts, might not be the easiest group to moderate . The mods do a exceptional job keeping freedom of speech while making sure our community feeling isn't fractured!

Thank you for this post nuu. And I really miss that old face made me smile everytine I pictured he/she speaking your words
Old 09-25-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Nuudawn, FANTASTIC, I'm rootin for all of us "sensitive" drunks.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I bite my tongue lots of times. I hear things that I think are wrong people say all the time and don't say anything because it's not worth the effort or time. I know I'm wrong a lot anyway, so better to remain quite and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt... I think.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Nuudawn

I always enjoy reading your posts. Sometimes they do come across as 'tough love' but I sense that you mean well. Having said that, I have been doing AA for months now so probably am not as sensitive these days. Also my sponsor is ex-military so he is an expert in dishing out tough love to me

The only thing I am glad that you have changed is your avatar, the last one used to give me the willies