View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
cejay

I've benefited from this thread as well. I don't see this as a troll. I see myself in many of you, Hypo included in fact that's what has motivated me to post.

I think ZJW did a good job the post about eating meat in a vegge forum, but please allow me to take a different stab at articulating why some of the reactions have been the way they are. (were?)

So much is lost in text vs in person interaction so let me preface these thoughts that there is no sarcasm, intended offense or talking down to you at all.

I'm of the AVRT school.

I had 3 years sober, then a year ago, my wife and I decided that it would be "OK" for me to drink again. That drinking started off with moderation and quickly graduated to daily, then weekends. Then on weekends the start time crept earlier and earlier. I don't do drugs, I'm really successful (in career), and I'm also in the "not yets" club mentioned.

Anyways, if you subscribe to AVRT thinking (Google it, take the free course, it'll take you 5 min) then if you look at your earlier post and then the start of this thread, you might think of this as drinking thinking.

If you drank for 10+ years (I think you said 30?), thought you had a problem, came here, read other stuff (guessing), took two weeks off (Congrats BTW), and then drank again and nothing bad happened, well you're lucky. That to us drinking thinking, our AVs will do anything to help us rationalize more drinking - anything. In fact, having a night of a couple beers and nothing bad happening will only serve to strengthen your AV's hold on your life. I posted very similar thoughts in my journal, somewhere else, years ago and the reaction was similar to the one you got here.

If you're looking for us to help you justify continuing drinking, this just isn't the place to ask that question and receive the answer you seek. We all either desperately want to quit or have struggled and worked hard to get and stay sober.

I sincerely wish you all the best and happiness in life. Drink, don't drink, your decision doesn't benefit me. From an outsider's (AVRT) point of view I see this as looking for encouragement to continue to rationalize drinking. Maybe there are moderation forms where you can get the encouragement you seek. I've never looked for them, only quitting forums.

Again, all the best in whatever you decide and if you end up coming back here posting that you had an experience like mine, you're going to get nothing but support from me.

CJ.