View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
I appreciate this line of thought. When you speak of differences between what you experience internally and what external reality provides for you - what do you mean?
Reality is a dynamic process of continous moments of experiences and we internally sort through and manage those moments in different measures of value relative to how we think and feel about ourselves all at the same time.

So, sometimes something means something else depending on whatever - for instance a vacation means more potentially if we enjoyed our last vacation - we anticipate a better time - and ice cream tastes "better" if we feel comforted by it - and a good friend is more trusted if we have something to lose by them breaking our trust - and quitting drinking is easier if drinking is harder - and life is great if...

Expectations and anticipations create excitement and excitement invites us to want to be satisfied and satisfaction creates well-being and allows us to appreciate ourselves all the more. When these kind of experiences are unfortuanately entrenched and internalised although externally our lives don't match up and our ducks are all over the place; it can be very attractive to just let it slide into having another drink so as to more easily cling to our subjective selves. Its not like taking that drink is harmful at that moment to that drinker - its more like it just dosen't make enough real-time sense to say no to that drink - even though there may exist a strong no to the idea that drinking is okay - just for now, drinking is better, and quitting just gets moved into the future.

Anyways.

I've tried to keep my answer brief - there are many windows opened to examine within ourselves when we take a look at ourselves as we are internally measured against how effectively we deal with the external world of our lives.