Old 09-21-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

I've never heard of a 'recovery date'

I think sobriety dates are a very individual thing, and sometimes I think we can make too much of them - we can almost use them as cudgels sometimes and I don't think that's what they're about at all. My sobriety date is vitally important to me...but I'm not sure it should be to anyone else - and vice versa.

For me resetting my sobriety does not mean that whatever sober time I had before doesn't count - I still have all I learned and achieved.

But for me my sobriety date is the day I embraced a new life...it's my first sober day.

If I was to return to the dark side and drink again ever, I'd consider that a repudiation of my sober new life, however temporary and whether I meant it to be or not, and I'd change my date.

I understand what you're saying silentrun, and I know several folks run on those lines here...I'm not passing judgement at all. Like I said above - your date, your recovery

but me? I need to be brutally honest with myself....I need to hold myself to account.

I was a great rationaliser...if I'm futzing about with my sobriety date, I'm letting the door open to that rationalisation stuff again, and I can't do that.

D