Old 09-21-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
james872

EDIT: I did not realize this was a very old post and thread. I'll keep my response in here anyway in case it applies to others who come across it.

Originally Posted by Laneparkin View Post
Hi everyone,

Im new here! So sorry if this sounds like a stupid question or what have you.

Anyways, I have been sober from alcohol since November 24th 09. However, I smoked pot over a week ago and told my sponsor about it as I felt fairly ashamed and knew i shouldn't be going out and smoking weed. My sponsor suggested that I change my sobriety date. This got me really angry because Ive never had a problem with weed or drugs (not that I would allow myself to use them whenever I pleased because there potential for addiction is high) and my main problems are alcohol and bulemia. Those are HUGE for me. Furthermore, it is Alcoholics!!! Anonymous...

If you all could shed some light on my dilemma, l would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much!
Strictly speaking, yes, it's Alcoholics Anonymous. But it'd be foolish to ignore other potential risks. Associated with alcoholism is the risk of replacing one addiction with another.

You need to take the whole picture into account. And not be too strict about the label Alcoholics Anonymous. It's about your situation and more things than alcohol can be involved.

Stay smart. Do whatever is best for your health. That's the main focus here, not the sober date or focusing on definitions.

Be well!