Thread: Well its
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
13unluckyforsom

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Folks who have been sober for a while will tell you that the way forward is to take any option of drinking away. Life will bring us situations, or we will manufacture them, that tell us any manner of lies to get us to drink again. Our subconscious knows no limit, and will use any event to excuse yet another appeal for 'just a couple'.

How can we succeed if our own brain is turning against us? Well, it is possible, and folks do it all the time. The brain part that wants the drink is resourceful and imaginative, but powerless. It has zero ability to direct our actions, our actions flow from our thinking rational mind, not our survival urges run amok.

Our way forward needs a plan which must be to never drink again, no matter what. Makes me think of Linus and Lucy, and the security blanket. Linus asks Lucy to never give him his blanket back, no matter what, and she agrees. In the next instant, Linus tells Lucy he has changed his mind, and wants it back, and Lucy folds like a cheap tent, to Linus' great dismay and disappointment.

Our way forward starts with a belief in ourselves, that we can succeed, and that we will succeed. Our way forward has the belief that for us, forward is the only way.
You always make me feel so positive - your words are always dead on target. You have a gift for helping people. You see through the mess and focus only on the big picture. I'm going to do what I should have yesterday and read some avrt material.