Thread: I hate Alcohol
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013, 04:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
honeypig

Jessica, he likely does not want to talk about his feelings and so on b/c he is used to numbing all that out w/alcohol. It's uncomfortable for him.

Unfortunately, if he isn't ready to deal w/his issues and is unwilling to put a plan in place to keep him from drinking and to offer continued support, it's extremely unlikely he'll stay sober. You know that, right? Remove the alcohol and make no other changes and you have a "dry drunk"--that is, until he turns into a "wet drunk" again, which generally doesn't take too long.

What are you doing for YOURSELF? Alcoholism is a lovely, sharing, family kind of disease--everyone touched by it is sick, too, to a greater or lesser extent. I'd like to suggest you check into Alanon. Here's a link to help you find a meeting: http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/

Going by your description of things w/your A, you're going to need support soon and could also perhaps use some education. Alanon is a great place to find both. There are a couple of threads going in the past few days from people who have attended their first meeting and how it went for them; you might like to look at these, too. I see on another thread that you have a son who is 9. Not sure if he's too young for Alateen, but you could surely check into it. I believe Hammer here said it was great for his daughter.

Please also do as much reading here as you can, and don't miss the stickies at the top of the page. There is a lot of good info and great suggestions for books to check out.

As you learn more, you'll be so much better prepared to deal w/what alcoholism throws your way. Keep on moving forward!