View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
abwvu1

Originally Posted by Anon1969 View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this, sort of. I have been trying to quit for some time now, but I just can't do it. I don't drink all the time. Never Sunday through Thursday. But as soon as I get home on Friday, I can't stop myself. I have the good intentions of just having a couple, but then I drink until 4:00 in the morning and end up doing stupid things that I would never do when I'm sober. I wake Saturday saying I'm not drinking tonight, and end up doing it all over again. I don't understand why I can't stop after a couple, but I can't. Monday through Thursday, I tell myself every day I'm not going to drink this weekend, then Friday comes and..... binge!! God, I am so ready to stop binge drinking, but don't know how to start. It's all I know. I quit for 30 days just to prove to my wife that I could. It was the hardest 30 days of my life. And after that, I was able to control it for the first 3 or 4 weeks and I thought I was strong enough to control it by myself, but I guess I can't . I fell into the same old patterns. I need to stop and want to stop, but I don't even know where to begin. Any help would be appreciated.

The worst part is that I never used to be like this. I keep trying to figure out when I went from social drinker to binge drinker.
Sounds completely similar to my drinking situation.

When I knew I had a drinking problem 99% of the time I would not drink from Sunday to Thursday. On the rare day that I did I called off work the next day (not a good look of course to your bosses or peers)

Whenever I social drank I binged. It was all about keeping the party going.

But in the end it got me 2 DUIs which is gonna take every spare cent I have to pay legal, court, alcohol outpatient treatment, and eventually interlock costs.

I never had the confidence or faith to realize that life is better without a drink in my hand.

Good luck and please stick with it.