View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Florence

know these kinds of cycles are normal in early recovery, and for him to feel euphoric for 10 months itself is amazing. Most crash around month 3-6.
Yes, I've heard this called "riding the pink cloud."

My AH also had a dual diagnosis which made early sobriety particularly difficult. I tried to help but found that it was a lot of wasted breath and anxiety. Like fourmaggie, the decision to GET and SUSTAIN treatment for his bipolar disorder was as consistent as his commitment to get and sustain treatment for his drinking... which meant he was open to anything when at his worst, and unwilling to commit to treatment as soon as things started to take a turn for the better. It was an awful rollercoaster ride. After about a year of purported sobriety, he relapsed again. Most of that time was just as depressing as when he was drinking. Just less dramatic, I guess.

Instead of interfering with his treatment or lack thereof, I started to take control of finances and of the kids and stopped asking him where he was in his treatment and moods. While I was impatient with him and his excuses as to why he no longer needed medication, couldn't get to doctor's appointments, and argued with the pharmacy, I got so tired of the same old stories and the eagerness to blame the medical system for his irresponsibility and procrastination that this became one of the major reasons I decided to leave him. This on top of everything else.