View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Tuffgirl

kkelly, I'd like to remind you of the "take what works and leave the rest" slogan from Al-Anon. That also applies here. No need to respond to everyone; if someone says something that doesn't resonate with you, you are free to not respond.

That said, its not folks believing alcoholics don't deserve any help. It's being clear on what "helping" actually means.

For example, my XAH got irate whenever I tried to "help". It was truly a case of immediate defensiveness, even if he knew I was right. So I tried not to do anything that smacked of "helping" where his sobriety was the issue. He made it crystal clear my "help" was not welcome, therefore I stayed out of it as best I could. Sadly, that same defensiveness carried over into other areas, and eventually ruined our marriage. But I did owe him the respect as a fellow grown up human being to handle things his own way, so I kept the focus on me instead.

And the three C's are about control. The underlying message is we really don't have any control over other people. You may be able to persuade your husband to seek professional help. That would be awesome! But he may refuse. Then what? Do you duct tape him to the car seat and drive him yourself? That's what I mean about control. You can suggest and/or implore he get help, but if he refuses, that's on him, not you. Again, he is a grown up and he does deserve the respect of finding his own solutions that work for him.

Good luck to you. I know these kinds of cycles are normal in early recovery, and for him to feel euphoric for 10 months itself is amazing. Most crash around month 3-6. You can read about that in the alcoholism and newcomers to recovery forums. Also Google the term PAWS - post acute withdrawal syndrome - that may help explain where his mind is at today.

Keep reading, and keep coming back,
~T