View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by nomis View Post
With all due respect, I have to agree to disagree on this one. I think it is vital for recovery to understand the underlying reasons that caused addiction in the first place.

The vast majority of people on this planet are not addicts, yet some of us are. If you get sober, but the causes of your addiction are still present and you're not addressing them, then it's going to be tough not to relapse.

Fundamentally I don't believe people become addicts for no apparent reason. It's not good enough, for me anyways to say "Oops became an alcoholic, gotta stop doing that".

Scott you say everything in your life was great, maybe. But I would suggest that there are perfectly good reasons you developed an a problem with alcohol. It wasn't just a random cosmic coincidence.

Anyways, don't want to step on too many toes here, but did want to point out that the hard evidence is out there. Addiction is medically explainable phenomenon now. That still hasn't reached wide-spread public consciousness, but the sooner it does, the sooner the stigma will begin to recede and people can start getting the help when they need it.
We can certainly disagree, I have no ill will towards anyone with a different approach to sobriety. I just personally have a accepted that I cannot control alcohol, it controls me. Therefore I've decided to move forward with a life without it, and I am really not concerned with why I am an alcholic. I just am. There may be evidence to explain addiction, but there is no medical "cure" other than not drinking. That's just my opinion, and there are a lot of people here with more sobriety than me, I'm sure their opinions vary.