View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
deeker

Suggestions why don't we take them?

Sometimes it amazes me that many people have the answer to addiction and they try to share their suggestions with us and we do everything we can to try to work around taking those suggestions. We continue to do it our way .

You know what the definition of insanity is?

: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

I remember when I got sick once with bronchitis. I was hacking my brains out and missed work for a couple weeks and I took cough medicine. My sponsor in AA suggested I take in steam.

Yah Yah I thought Thanks, Did I do it ? No!!

Instead I pop a million halls cough drops and end up having a terrible stomach ache and cough for another week. Then she says did you take in the steam like I suggested and I said No.

She says why not I told you it will work.

So I go home boil some water and sit over it and breathe in the steam.
Whatdya know, I stop coughing, my chest feels better and I can return to work.

What is the point I am making?

People in here are giving us suggestions all the time that will lead us to a firm foundation in recovery, but we are unwilling to go to any lengths for our recovery. We think we know what is best for us and we think we know what we need to do to get clean.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Our best thinking got us into the trouble we are in now. Why would we trust it. If we want to get and stay clean and sober, we should take suggestions from people who are staying clean and sober. It's that simple really.
'