View Single Post
Old 01-11-2005, 03:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Andy F

Hi Wildsaffron

I think I might have chinned someone had they called me a dry drunk in my early days. And looking back I don't think I would have regretted it. It a very judgemental and distorted comment in my view. After I had not had a drink for some months, one day I started staggering down the street - that's what I used to think a dry drunk was. I'm going to take no notice of the definition by the wellhealthcentre as in my view not only is it only their subjective opinion, by their standards everyone on the planet fits the description.

Saying Dry drunk is 'labeling' other behaviours that deserve to be treated independantly and without judgement. It can also be used by people to try and coerce you into 'their' way of thinking or punish you because you are different and this makes them feel uncomfortable. It's a bit like name calling at school.

In your particular case, with your self-confessed alcoholic business partner, it sounds like he's annoyed either because he's lost his drinking pal or because your sober example pokes his conscience about his own drinking. From his point of view it may well suit his needs for you to drink again. I am of course putting possibilties here, I am not giving advice

regards

Andy F