View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
lillamy

Wisconsin said exactly what I was going to say.

And I could have written your post a few, maybe eight-or-so years ago. Successful husband, respected in the community, everyone saw us as the perfect family.

Today, he is teetering on the edge of homelessness, doesn't have a job, and is mentally confused, all because of his drinking.

I would say one aspect to consider is the strictly financial part. You're in business together as well as married. Which means your finances are intertwined. So thus far, you haven't seen a financial impact of his drinking. What happens when he starts making costly mistakes in the business, taking money to finance his drinking habit, gets arrested for drunk driving...? You may find it impossible to consider that scenario right now -- but it's a very realistic one if he doesn't get help.

I'm having one heck of a hard time not yelling "RUUUUN! RUN FOR THE HILLS!" because of my own experiences. There was a point in time where I could have left and told people "my husband had a drinking problem and chose alcohol over me." Instead, I waited, his alcoholism ran its course, and I tell people "I left my alcoholic abusive husband when he threatened to kill the entire family."

Obviously, I never in a million years thought it would get to that point either.