Old 09-03-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
honeypig

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind View Post
I have looked into Alanon tonight after it was suggested to me and am waiting for a reply from them regarding meetings in my area.

There is only so much I can burden my family and friends before they themselves find it all too much.
In my area, the Alanon office does the best it can, but since all who work there are volunteers, they are only staffed for certain hours and on certain days. A response from them may or may not be quick, based on that. Here is a link to find Alanon meetings http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/how-to-find-a-meeting so you don't have to wait for someone to contact you.

There is another thread going here about burning out one's friends and family w/constant talk about the A and the problems he causes. You are wise to realize this can become a problem and to start building yourself a support network outside of your family and friends.

One more thing I want to respond to is your mention of wishing you could talk to your A's counselor so you would have better knowledge of his situation. With all due respect, he is showing you pretty clearly what his situation is already, especially if you look at his actions rather than his words, as I've seen advised here many times. No need to wish for more info there, it doesn't look like....

As mentioned earlier in this thread, you'll do better to put the focus on yourself and what YOU want from life rather than look to your A for that. If you keep reading, both here and whatever Alanon literature you can lay your hands on, as well as posting here and attending Alanon meetings, you'll start to have a very different picture of what's happening, and you'll start to know what you want to (and what you CAN) do about it.