View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
atalose

I told him I've decided I don't want any alcohol in my life at all, me not drinking nor anyone very close to me
I think you sharing your honest feelings with him about what you DON'T want in your life took allot of courage, and a major step for your future happiness in life.

Now what HE chooses to do or not do about that is all on him.

Your job now is to focus on you and what your next step might be if he does not follow up and seek help for himself. What is your plan to remove him from your life should be pick up and drink again?

I think learning as much as you can about what real recovery looks like would be a good start. Often they announce they will stop, they make a few phone calls, they attend a few meetings and realize they are not ready and they drink again. Its at that point in time where your "strength" must come forward for you and your life.

One fact you should not ignore is.....was he an alcoholic when you met him and fell in love with him? Was his drinking issue there long before you came along, probably. We use terms like "functioning" in order to make the situation not as bad. Alcoholism is a progressive disease and although he may hold a job today alcoholism almost certainly guarantees that, that won't be the case in the future if he continues to drink.

Try and check out some al-anon meetings in your area and read through the numerious threads here, educate yourself as much as possible about the disease, about addicts behaviors and what real recovery looks like.