View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 02:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
afla

Question Supporting a recovery?

Hi, I'm new here, I tried posting in the newcomers section yesterday but my post was way too long. I guess I needed to type.

I have some questions. Have there been many stories of friends/family supporting alcoholics, them recovering and the issue being permanantly resolved?

I love my boyfriend. I'm guessing this will sound like 'same old story', but we really are very good together, when he's sober. When he drinks he gets careless and angry and insulting.

I never, for months, tried to put any forced rules or 'ultimatums' down. I thought that'd make it worse. Yesterday, after the night before's mess, I'd had enough. I told him I think he's a functioning alcoholic, that I don't think he'll get anywhere without help. I told him I've decided I don't want any alcohol in my life at all, me not drinking nor anyone very close to me. I told him it was up to him if he wanted to stay or not with that, but that's where I want to be now going forward. I told him if he did want to be with me, I didn't think he could do it without resenting me if he didn't get help, from alcoholics support.

He said he wants to stay. He said he's had enough. He rang a helpline. They told him to ring a local centre, which he will today after work.

As an aside, the helpline (given to him by his doctor) suggested instead of drinking to relax he try taking a relaxing bath - I thought, are you serious?? You really think this is so trivial and easy to change as 'oh I'll just take baths instead'??

Anyway, thanks for any readers.