Old 08-31-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
wpainterw

StoryTale: First of all, Maria, welcome to the site. Hope you find some of the support you're looking for right here. Lots of others have. It's no substitute for getting out of your solitude. By that I mean that a good road to recovery is in company of others who are trying to remain sober as well. AA is a possible place to find that but there are other alternatives which folks on this site know lots about.
Normally I would not favor using antabuse, since all it does is buy time and, doing so, it postpones the really effective stuff, like joining AA or some other program for long term sobriety. I tried antabuse a number of times and when I stopped using it I started drinking again, since I hadn't become part of a plan or program.
However, in your case it sounds like you need a bit of time to get things going so I'm not going to question your taking the antabuse as long as you realize that antabuse alone won't solve your problems and prolonged use may make it more difficult to get started on sobriety if it builds up a false sense of confidence.
So that being said, I earnestly recommend that you keep exploring this website and also that you begin right now formulating a long term plan of recovery, like AA, some other program involving recovering alcoholics, maybe some counseling, and medical help from a doctor who is trained to deal with addiction.
You're young and it you take this opportunity and achieve long term sobriety, I guarantee you you'll never regret it. It will be your finest achievement, regardless of all the other wonderful things you may do. The Greeks said it long ago. True greatness, true wisdom consists in knowing oneself. If you know yourself you will be true to yourself and you will be true to others. Take this opportunity. Grasp it in your hand. Hold it high and never let it go!

W.