Notices

Hii, I want to ask for some help/support?

Old 08-31-2013, 04:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Hii, I want to ask for some help/support?

Hii, my name is Maria.
I'm from Denmark and was looking for a danish site like this, but weirdly (since there are many people with alcohol problems there), there is no support sites to be found.
I am not entirely sure about if being here can help me, and would like to know if anyone else have felt like this? The thing is that for me, chatting on the internet seems "unreal", (in need of better words), it feels a bit like an alternative world which I can always leave in case I didn't like it -- or get too reliant on?

But with that said, I want to try anyway. So I'll tell a bit about myself.
( You can also skip the stuff about me, and go down to read the problem right now if you don't want to read, but want to help ).

I am a girl and I am 21 years old. Live alone. Always only drink alone as well.
I have a hard time communicating with other people, have always been that way, and I often like my own company better than almost everyone elses. ( I know, terrible personality. -_-; )
The reason I want to try a site like this, is because I can't get myself to attempt real life meeting, for an example. The reason why; I feel like I would only get even more sucked into the world of alcohol by doing so, instead of being with people who doesn't think in these ways. I am pretty empathic I guess, I get almost extreamly affected by the people and everything else near me.
I have a true wish about never in my life be drinking again. Sometimes I can change my mind by watching something, reading something, but I'll shortly go back to wanting to be a sober person, who's never anything else than completely sober, eating healthy, sleeping well, so on.
I dropped out of school in a young age, and have now started again, though there will be a long way to go. I thought that if I got a life, it would be easier not to drink -- but now it's even harder to stop, for some reason. I have problems with money, and it affect my effort in school very much.

I want to stop drinking to begin to live again -- but everytime I stop drinking, I start to live even less. When I'm sober I waste my time away alone and don't want to be near anyone or do anything at all.

I have decided to use Antabuse to get sober, last time I was drinking was yesterday, and I'm taking my first pill on monday.
Problem; I have been on and off antabuse 2 times before, but this time I can't get started again. I have decided to start almost every day for the last three weeks, and ended up drinking each day. I need to stay sober untill it's safe to take it, and this is why I really need some support right now. It's critical that I do it now. But when I get cravings I seem to forget how critical it really is, very much because of my non-existent money.

Don't know if anyone will care to read all this, or want to help by "supporting" me ( lol, I feel like an idiot saying that. -_-; ), untill I can take the first pill which makes it impossible to drink as much as one drink for at least a week or two. ( I will continue to take it for a long time though ). Right now I can't imagine myself ever being able to say no to alcohol if I have a choice.
Btw. No one besides my family ( who I don't really speak with about important matters ), knows about my problem. I will appreciate all kinds of suggestions/advices, if so.

Thank you for taking your time reading.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Storytale.

I am a 42 year old woman that drank heavily for years (I am 4 months sober now). I too couldn't imagine "not" drinking, but my life is so much better now.

Although I have a husband and daughter, and I adore them, I too enjoy spending time alone. I did all my drinking mostly alone. Now that I am sober, I still enjoy alone time, but instead I go to the gym or go shopping.

There is so much out there to enjoy without alcohol. I hope you stick around and keep reading and posting...it really helps.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dollyangel17 View Post
Welcome Storytale.

I am a 42 year old woman that drank heavily for years (I am 4 months sober now). I too couldn't imagine "not" drinking, but my life is so much better now.

Although I have a husband and daughter, and I adore them, I too enjoy spending time alone. I did all my drinking mostly alone. Now that I am sober, I still enjoy alone time, but instead I go to the gym or go shopping.

There is so much out there to enjoy without alcohol. I hope you stick around and keep reading and posting...it really helps.
Thank you so much for your replay.
I hope that I someday will also come to enjoy the things I could before drinking, in a sober state again. congratulations with your 4 months! The longest I've been sober in quite some years was 1 month -- I understand that it'll may take longer than just 1 to really get the feeling back of enjoying life again, for me.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
LDT

Storytale, I just want to applaud you ( and also hug you ) for wanting to get sober at such an young age. I think that's brilliant! Like you, I use to drink alone, and that led me into a very dark and dangerous place in my life. You have your whole sober, beautiful life ahead of you..... Go for it! .....As to wondering if posting on a site such as this is "real" or not, all I can say is that all of us here are real, and are here for the same reasons you are. I've personally been helped by and made some very good friends here......,Good enough in fact, to meet at the next World AA convention in Atlanta ( even though I'm not in AA ). Stick around and keep reading and posting. PM anyone you need to. Welcome to SR!
Old 08-31-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LDT View Post
Storytale, I just want to applaud you ( and also hug you ) for wanting to get sober at such an young age. I think that's brilliant! Like you, I use to drink alone, and that led me into a very dark and dangerous place in my life. You have your whole sober, beautiful life ahead of you..... Go for it! .....As to wondering if posting on a site such as this is "real" or not, all I can say is that all of us here are real, and are here for the same reasons you are. I've personally been helped by and made some very good friends here......,Good enough in fact, to meet at the next World AA convention in Atlanta ( even though I'm not in AA ). Stick around and keep reading and posting. PM anyone you need to. Welcome to SR!
Thank you so much, I really needed to hear from someone else that it is "real".
And you're right. Unlike when reading some other peoples posts, where they say that they were very long about realizing the problem, I felt like I was realizing it before it became an actual problem, but was already a place long gone from myself, and what I didn't realize was how hard it would someday be get out of. But just as much as I can't imagine coping without alcohol, as much I can't imagine wasting anymore of my life. Thank you very much for your post and your kindness.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Maria,

Welcome to SR.

Life is sometimes hard and especially when you are young – alcohol will not help you, it can give you a short relief but the cost is high. I think you have taken the right decision to get this under control.

I do not have any usable advice on how to beat the feeling of “living less”, often we do go through a difficult period when we stop drinking.

Sensible of you to start school again – even if it makes you short of funds for the time being.

I am sure some young people here can relate better and give you good advice.

Take care.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

ST welcome. You are not unique as I can testify by being in AA over 30 years now. I'd suggest going for about a month or two. Take the attitude, until you want to change it, that all I'll say is "I'll pass" if your in such a meeting. It has a positive note as you will probably listen instead of thinking of what to say. If your not religious that's OK as that's fairly common in my area. Take what you need but keep coming. BE WELL
Old 08-31-2013, 05:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

http://www.aa-europe.net/docsService...2012q2_web.pdf

AA CER - Meetings - Denmark

Alcoholics Anonymous : Young People and AA

metareddit - subreddit

"YPAA is for anyone with room to grow in their recovery. Focus is often placed on people who got sober thirty or younger, as our book describes it, but that needn’t keep anyone from taking part in YPAA because the AA solution works for any age. (Just as someone with decades of sobriety should not be turned off from taking part in a Beginner’s meeting where the focus is often on the first days or months of sobriety.)

Don't be intimidated by the joy and laughter of the YPAA fellowship. As our book reminds us, "Why shouldn't we laugh? We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others." Check it out and get involved. Avoid ‘contempt prior to investigation.’"
Old 08-31-2013, 05:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi SoberTale,

Welcome and yes, we are real people here.

I hope you read around the message board and become inspired. There are many of us here and you will find many different methods of recovery. Hopefully you will find one that works for you.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LDT View Post
Storytale, I just want to applaud you ( and also hug you ) for wanting to get sober at such an young age. I think that's brilliant! Like you, I use to drink alone, and that led me into a very dark and dangerous place in my life. You have your whole sober, beautiful life ahead of you..... Go for it!
Welcome Storytale, and I whole heartily agree with LDT. She is right on!! SR is a great site. Hang out with us for a while!!
Old 08-31-2013, 06:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm a socially akward introverted 30 year old. I like myself better than most others too. But i isolated for a long time and drank alone for a long time. I didn't get happy until I reconnected with people. I'd say try to find a few live sober friends that you connect with well, even if It's hard and uncomfortable at first. And of course keep posting here too!
Old 08-31-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Hi StoryTale , I like your thinking. Wanting to get sober. Do the antabuse , start today. Please don't drink . Even if just today. It'll put you in a good frame of mind , just knowing that you did it. Tomorrow same thing. Try not to think too far ahead. One day at a time.

Truly
Tr
Old 08-31-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh and i used to worry that people would see my weirdness and not like me, the people who mind don't matter, and the people that matter don't mind.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Drink tea

Hi Maria,

We know how hard it can be, and the good thing about international forums like this is that there is always someone awake to try to help you through.

Do you have anything planned for getting through the week-end? How are you going to occupy your time until you can start the antabuse?

I'll think of you for the next few hours and hope you make it.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

StoryTale:

Hi and Welcome!

As I understand you need to be sober for a few days before starting the Anabuse because otherwise it is dangerous. So perhaps set a goal to spend some time reading on the site and make your announcement on the first day you take it Everyone here will be pulling for you to succeed!
Old 08-31-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Maria

This is a great group - I came here lost, beaten, and scared out of my wits by my addictions - SR helped me turn my life around

We are real people, and we really want to help

welcome to SR

D
Old 08-31-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Maria, all real people here. You will find SR a great support especially in the early days. Great people with wise words of advise! Good luck
Old 08-31-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

StoryTale: First of all, Maria, welcome to the site. Hope you find some of the support you're looking for right here. Lots of others have. It's no substitute for getting out of your solitude. By that I mean that a good road to recovery is in company of others who are trying to remain sober as well. AA is a possible place to find that but there are other alternatives which folks on this site know lots about.
Normally I would not favor using antabuse, since all it does is buy time and, doing so, it postpones the really effective stuff, like joining AA or some other program for long term sobriety. I tried antabuse a number of times and when I stopped using it I started drinking again, since I hadn't become part of a plan or program.
However, in your case it sounds like you need a bit of time to get things going so I'm not going to question your taking the antabuse as long as you realize that antabuse alone won't solve your problems and prolonged use may make it more difficult to get started on sobriety if it builds up a false sense of confidence.
So that being said, I earnestly recommend that you keep exploring this website and also that you begin right now formulating a long term plan of recovery, like AA, some other program involving recovering alcoholics, maybe some counseling, and medical help from a doctor who is trained to deal with addiction.
You're young and it you take this opportunity and achieve long term sobriety, I guarantee you you'll never regret it. It will be your finest achievement, regardless of all the other wonderful things you may do. The Greeks said it long ago. True greatness, true wisdom consists in knowing oneself. If you know yourself you will be true to yourself and you will be true to others. Take this opportunity. Grasp it in your hand. Hold it high and never let it go!

W.