View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
stickbyU

Originally Posted by allforcnm View Post
I think it is sort of a personal choice; a lot of it based on your relationship. If you weren't living together before, do you think your ready to progress to that now, or would you be doing it more out of convenience? I think part of it also might have to do with what stage of addiction he was in, how he is doing in recovery as that will give you an idea of how stable he will be when he comes out. My husband came home right after a 3 month rehab and there were ups and downs, but we handled it all ok; also used therapy and some marriage counseling. So I don't put much stock in a generic one year rule; but that's just my experience.

Does he know for sure he will be able to find employment in Prescott, obtain a place to live, and how will you work out all the details - something to think about in advance maybe. And great about your schooling - sounds like it would almost fast track that for you; no waitlist.

We are from Arizona also. I had looked at rehabs in that area; and your right there are a lot there & I think they say its like the rehab capital of all the western states or something like that. My husband ended up going to one in California, but it was really tempting to pick one in-state for convenience.

I hope you have a little time to think about it; Id say just keep trying to look at it from as many angles as possible and that will hopefully help with the decision.
We are more than ready to live together. Especially now that he is in a sober state of mind. He very much wants to live a better life, one of recovery and feels strongly that coming back to the environment he lived in and a high stress job would be his main stressors/triggers. We've been together for 8 years and were planning to move in together before all this happened. His addiction hadn't got to the point where he was stealing or on pills at work endangering his job but it got to the point where he knew exactly how many minutes it would take to get from work to his dealers house for his next high. His breaking point was a weekend drug binge that involved other drugs which caused him to fear for his life therefore coming to me asking for help because he knew he couldn't quit without professional help.

He has been offered numerous jobs and referrals for employment from his sponsor and others he's met while being there, and even willing to help him in getting back to school so he can get out of the career he's in (he works at a prison). They feel strongly that he should leave his old life behind as well and he is very serious about his recovery so he sees it as an opportunity he shouldn't pass up. Of course he's asked my opinion and wants me to do whatever I need to do for us to be together. He doesn't want to be selfish but knows I support his recovery completely.

I would definitely find a job, enroll in school and do all that before I would go. And I can find meetings and a therapist anywhere. We are the best of friends, the love of eachothers lives and we support each other, we just can't imagine a life apart, despite everyone Referring back to the 1 year rule.

I'm curious as to how your husbands recovery is going....has he been successful in working his program? What were the things you most struggled with?