Old 08-26-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mightyqueen801

Originally Posted by Wavy View Post
So I mentioned in my thread about leaving XABF that there were a few small pleasures I could now enjoy that mean so much now, but were a nightmare when we were together and a few other people chipped in. I thought it might be fun to have somewhere for people to put down all those little pleasures that leaving brings, to remind us how much better our lives are and to give hope to people still struggling. Obviously there are the big things, like not being scared of what I'm coming home to, but somehow the little things give me the comfort to get from moment to moment when things are hard

So I'll start!

I mentioned getting to take the screen lock off my phone and getting to wear my white jeans that XABF hates but I love.

Other things include getting to cook chilli for dinner (YUM!) and not have to hear how awful and disgusting it was since he hated chilli.

Putting up loads of photos of my family so I can remind myself of the people I love and that love me, without having to hear insults about them.

Watching the entire BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice in my pyjamas on a sunday, just because I can now!

So what are the little pleasures you are grateful for now that you are free of your A?
I can open my blinds/curtains during the day! My ex HATED sunlight. I didn't even realize how weird this had become until one time a friend came over to pick me up to go shopping. She passed my husband on the way in. I had a triple sliding door in my living room going out to the balcony, and my big heavy drapes were closed. She asked me why I had the drapes closed when it was such a beautiful day. I said, "Give me a break--'Bob' just left--you saw him. I haven't had a chance to open them yet." She looked completely puzzled by my response. I said, "I CAN'T have the blinds open when he is here--don't you know that?" She had no idea.

When we moved to the next place, I came home from work one day to find that he had NAILED boards over one window in our new living room and screwed an old blanket into the woodwork to cover the other one. I just looked at him and said, "How am I supposed to remove that stuff when people come over?" He said, "Why would you want to?"

I love having the sunlight come in my windows now. LOVE it.