View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
dayover

This thread reminded me of something I heard at AA.

To start off, not having cravings/the urge to drink isn't necessarily abnormal. In fact, it can offer a really false sense of security.

I don't have any cravings or urges to drink whatsoever.

But here's the really scary part about that:

I have (and maybe others can relate to this) gone to a bar/party/gathering with no intention of drinking. Perhaps soon after a long bender and some serious consequences. I am still stung with humiliation and I do NOT want to drink or get drunk. I don't want to drink or get drunk. Let me say that one more time: Not a single fiber of my being wants to get drunk.

..Yet somehow I wake up and what have I done? I've drank.
It's very scary to realize that part of this addiction at least for some, is that even when we do NOT WANT TO DRINK, we are still powerless and DO drink.

What I'm saying is that even if you do not want to drink, that doesn't mean you won't. So even if right now you are confident, you really have no idea what the future holds.

I don't think there is any issue with you going to AA for the social aspect. IF anything, go and listen to the stories and remind yourself how lucky you are that you stopped before your life fell apart, that in your sobriety you can take back your life. The fact is that it is a very 'egoist' ideal that I hear all the time "Well I wasn't as bad as so-and-so" "Well I'm not depressed and man they're all depressed and anxious."

Whether you are willing to admit it or not, you were 'bad enough' that it lead you to AA. It doesn't matter how many drinks you take, or how many times you pass out, or how many cars you have, because you are still an addict. There are always gonna be people who have it worse than you... but that isn't a reason to stop seeking help. I would continue to go to the meetings and really look into WHY you don't want to work the 12 steps into your life. Where is the harm in trying to live a better life through those steps? Why exactly do you reject any use of them?

This is all just my opinion of course