View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Fandy

Originally Posted by tate9685 View Post
Eleni58, I dont know your drinking history, but if you feel that you have a problem with alcohol that is reason enough to go to AA. You don't have to go every day or do 30 meetings or 90 meetings in a row. If you have alot of alone time, I would suggest going to AA more than once a week. You also don't have to work the steps right now or ever if you choose not to. Go to the meetings and get what YOU need out of them. I would suggest you get a few friends if you don't want to get a sponsor and hang out with sober AA friends also. If anyone gives you grief about your "not doing the steps...or not going to meetings everyday...just tell them to take their own inventory and work their own program". Be careful with thinking that you won't get an urge or craving to drink. If you have support in AA, you can reach out to them and of course here. Good luck.
this seems to be a very sensible suggestion....
I think that whatever you need to do will become your new normal.

But in the nature of this thread, (and the title) you aren't going to get many people to agree with you, as they may use the program differently (jmho) Don't be upset with the people who are prophetising....they just follow a different path. congrats on your upcoming month!

by my own experience (i am now at 27 months, i don't count, and I do not follow AA, i'm not a big churchy person, but I do believe in God)..the first time i stopped, i had 45 days, it was a normal sunny day, after work I drove to the liquor store and bought a bottle of wine...i never hesitated or questioned myself, but I prefer being sober. it is something i had to find out for myself.