Thread: My fantasy girl
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2005, 03:11 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Captain Morgan

Ok, so where do we begin to explain a term as complex as "love?" As I look for any profound answer in this life, I look to the Bible (surprise, surprise). First I'll start with what Christ claimed to be the ultimate expression of love:

John 15
12This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
13Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

So this is the greatest expression of love. Is it the only way we can express our love for another?

Here's another example of love:

Genesis 29
15And Laban said unto Jacob, Because thou art my brother, shouldest thou therefore serve me for nought? tell me, what shall thy wages be?
16And Laban had two daughters: the name of the elder was Leah, and the name of the younger was Rachel.
17Leah was tender eyed; but Rachel was beautiful and well favoured.
18And Jacob loved Rachel; and said, I will serve thee seven years for Rachel thy younger daughter.
19And Laban said, It is better that I give her to thee, than that I should give her to another man: abide with me.
20And Jacob served seven years for Rachel; and they seemed unto him but a few days, for the love he had to her.
http://bible.gospelcom.net/passage/?...r=29&version=9

Here's yet another example, however trite it may be, of an expression of love:

John 3:16 (King James Version)
King James Version (KJV)
Public Domain

16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

So what does the Bible tell me love is? What is the common theme that ties these three examples together? Love is giving, and not only giving, but sacrificial giving. The ultimate expression of love is giving one's own life, because what does a person possess more valueable than his own life? Oh yeah, his soul.

Matthew 16
24Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
25For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.
26For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

Luke 12
4And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do.
5But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

Christ left us a commandment I don't often refer to:

John 15
10If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
11These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.
12This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...2015&version=9