View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 03:36 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
dotboston

Originally Posted by erics View Post
The anxiety is related to the withdrawal we go through after we use up so much dopamine while drinking. There's none left and your brain can't function without it, so you get anxiety and then the anxiety turns to panic attacks. That's progression. I don't think "normal" drinkers experience this much, and if they do, they're not likely to repeat it. I did this for years and years. Xanax worked for a while, but you are playing with fire. You develop a tolerance quickly and end up taking more to feel relief. I wound up having to detox from xanax shortly after quitting alcohol. It SUCKED! If a doctor begins talking benzos , be certain you are up front with your alcohol intake. My shrink had NO IDEA of my drinking and kept filling scripts for 10 years of xanax...........alcohol leads to withdrawal which leads to anxiety which is calmed by benzos which lose their effectiveness and more anxiety comes with that and...... It's no way to live!
Yes, Benzo's are bad news for alcoholics. They affect the same parts of the brain. And yes, I've heard withdrawing from Benzo's is even more dangerous than Alcohol. I too was on Xanax, using it to cope at work.

Oddly enough, they use them in detox (librirum). But they do it in a very controller manner.

It's such a horrible horrible cycle. But you never have to do it again!