View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 11:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
LUCAN

Very sorry to hear your distress. I'm not sure what it is that you're supposed to do for your friend. Sounds to me that you have done what you can. Seems that you can't fix stupid.

My experience is, YOU can't fix a drunk either. That is up to them. I know how if feels to watch a loved one wreck their life with booze. I watch my wife do it most nights every week. We fight every time I bring it up. So, too often I don't bring it up - Just so I can enjoy a night of peace. I think she truly believes that I don't know she's been drinking sometimes. She always brags about how smart and righteous I am, but then expects me to be an idiot about her drinking.

You friend is lucky to have you, but I'm afraid that if she can't see that, or give herself even the slightest amount of self-worth to care to change... She's lost. I don't know how to show that to a drunk. Again, they have to come to that understanding on their own. I hope you find a way to get through to her. If you do, let me know so I can try it with my AW.

This seems to be my only real outlet, as I live in a small town, and although many know of my wife's issues, I find it difficult to talk to anyone about it. Personal and all. This is a good place to let it out - To say what you need to say and find some experienced poor souls who have been down the same path.

I feel for you. Your friend causes her own suffering. You suffer because you care for her. Never fair. I wish you could just hold up a mirror and show them what they've become and what kind of a person they turn into when drunk. We both know it doesn't work that way.

I guess detachment is the way to handle it. I'm trying this myself. Again, hard to master and sometimes it isn't practical. I get most depressed when I resign myself to just accepting the fact that she loves to drink and thinks that I'm making a huge deal about nothing. Suppose that if I'll let her, she'll always be a drunk and happy to be one. Kills me when my daughter sees. it. Always.

Argh!!!

Take care of yourself. I hope you come out of this a happy person. Wouldn't your friend be such a huge success if they could take the control back. My wife would be, and I'd be so proud of her. Wow, If only...