View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Silverbirch

Happy sober Sunday everyone! I'm on day 18 I think...been finding this weekend tough. Very hard on Friday after work - met my boyfriend to go to a show (there's a huge Arts Festival on here) which didn't start til 6.45pm. The sun was shining and everyone was drinking beers and wine outside. My favourite time and place to drink - early evening after a week at work, and even more so in the rare sunshine! So I felt really angry that I can't just enjoy a drink like that as I sat in the beer garden with my coke. The show was great and I enjoyed it so much more than I would have had I been drinking beforehand, and afterwards we went for a great Indian meal.

I realise that a huge trigger for me, like others have mentioned, is hunger. I think in the past I used to drink and smoke to delay eating and stave off hunger pangs. Once I'm full, the urge to have a drink is gone (although before I stopped, if I'd started drinking before eating I'd just carry in during and after - something I never used to do a few years ago).
Today is another struggle - hosting a big family drinks and food where everyone will be drinking heavily, and probably trying to persuade me to as well. Not going to, but it's tough having that niggling AV saying go on, just have a few!

Sorry for the moany post, but it feels good to share it with people who understand