Administrator

Class of July 2013 Pt 4

last part here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...pt-3-a-20.html

D
Old 08-10-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!

Day 9 was a great one. Started off the day with a beautiful drive to go visit some friends for the day. They live an hour away and it was so nice to be able to enjoy the drive without feeling nauseas, dehydrated, and all hungover. Spent the day sitting by their pool and cooking out. Drank Diet Cherry Pepsi and enjoyed catching up and watching our kids swim/play. I didn't think I could enjoy such a day without a cold beer or cocktail so I guess I kind of surprised myself?! Home now and exhausted, but happy and grateful to be sober and not struggling tonight.

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their evening.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ladybut, that is wonderful! You should be very proud of yourself

Good day for me as well. Day 23. Took my dog for an hour long (hot) walk, spent the day cleaning, and then took the girls and their friends to the mall. Not many thoughts of alcohol today, but when I did, I just told myself that it wasn't happening.

Life is getting simpler it seems in a way. I am getting things done, buying what I need, and it all just seems manageable. When I was drinking, I always felt so overwhelmed and like I couldn't handle it all. I always forgot things that I had to do or that we needed and just felt that life was so unfair that I had so much responsibility on my plate, how could one person do it all and do it right? Now I realize that it was the drinking in the evenings and then the fogginess the next day that created all that chaos. Things still get busy and I'm not perfect, but everything just seems to flow nicely now.

I hope everyone else is getting throught the weekend ok. Cravings are just feelings, we don't have to act on them
Old 08-10-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Haha, ooops....LadybuG! I feel so silly!
Old 08-10-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
Haha, ooops....LadybuG! I feel so silly!
Haha, at least you spelled it with one t and not two!!
Old 08-10-2013, 07:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

lol ladybut that's cute!

Day 12 going well. I got my butt up and went to the gym and church. I decided I am going to try out a different parish tomorrow which has a reputation for a thriving young adult ministry. I'm at a place where I'd love some new friends on my sober path. I'm grateful to have this group and SR so far! NOt sure if I'll get out tonight, I'll likely hit a meeting tomorrow am and do errands before I hit that new mass and ultimately pick up my little bundle. Lets keep it going all!
Old 08-10-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post

Life is getting simpler it seems in a way. I am getting things done, buying what I need, and it all just seems manageable. When I was drinking, I always felt so overwhelmed and like I couldn't handle it all. I always forgot things that I had to do or that we needed and just felt that life was so unfair that I had so much responsibility on my plate, how could one person do it all and do it right? Now I realize that it was the drinking in the evenings and then the fogginess the next day that created all that chaos. Things still get busy and I'm not perfect, but everything just seems to flow nicely now.
I know what you mean, FABL. I used to drink when I felt overwhelmed, then feel more overwhelmed when hungover ... and so the viscious cycle continued. I finally feel like I am starting to get things done, little by little. Have a long way to go on my "to do" list, but at least it is starting to feel manageable, instead of overwhelming and impossible!
Old 08-10-2013, 10:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well I have officially made it to three weeks, 21 full days sober. Now to keep up the good fight. I thank all of you for your wonderful support and look forward to sharing our journeys together.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

So far the urges and cravings have been mild or at best manageable & I'm trying to figure out what's different this time. I have relapsed over & over again during the past 5 years. It nearly cost me my marriage , my drivers licence, family relationships,, it did cause me to lose work & end up in court. I don't know what's changed but I'm on day 54 and feeling commited and strong going forward. I won't give up this new found freedom.
Lulu,, well done on your day count, keep going.
Best to all on this sober Sunday.
Thanks to all at SR.
Ando
Old 08-11-2013, 03:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
TAQ

Originally Posted by LuLu13 View Post
Well I have officially made it to three weeks, 21 full days sober. Now to keep up the good fight. I thank all of you for your wonderful support and look forward to sharing our journeys together.
Lulu, I'm one day behind you. Lets both keep it going!
Old 08-11-2013, 03:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TAQ View Post
Lulu, I'm one day behind you. Lets both keep it going!
I'm with you TAQ!
Old 08-11-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Is it me or is our thread a little slow this weekend? I hope everyone is staying sober and keeping busy

Waking up early, rested and sober, only motivates me to go for another day. I know it's addiction but it still baffles me to no end that I would ever choose to drink again when I see how much better I am without alcohol. Sure that initial release, that first drink or two, is wonderful but not worth that temporary sensation for such long term pain. It's so clear to me right now, but around 4pm everyday, it's like someone or something (AV) takes my brain hostage and I begin to think completely differently, convincing myself that it's just FINE to drink, no big deal. UGH, does it every go away? I want it to, because it scares the life out of me.

I have a friend (ex-BF actually), who is also and alcoholic but it has caused him problems that I was lucky enough to be able to avoid (DUIs, being fired, loss of family and friend relationships, his dignity, etc..). We pretty much broke up because of his maniacal behavior while drinking that I could not have in my life anymore. It was also seeing his alcoholism that caused me to look at my own drinking and got me to really start trying to quit. He has been to rehab, AA, and been down those dark places that I have only heard about that addiction can take you (stealing, etc..). Anyway, he is clearly drinking again (he is 1,000 miles away, thankfully but just by crazy texts I can tell he's drunk) but speaks of it so casually- "just having a few beers", "just going out with some friends". It is so frustrating to me because I know where this will lead, but I feel like I sound so righteous and judgemental when I call him out on it. As sad and as scared as it makes me for him, it also keeps me motivated to stay sober so that I never, ever end up like him. I feel guilty for feeling like that, but it's true. I wish he would just see the light.

Anyway, sorry for my long post, just some random thoughts on a Sunday morning. Have a great day everyone
Old 08-11-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Day 23 complete. I worked, didn't do much of anything else. My motivation to do much of anything besides work has definitely gone down over the last week. This has to change starting today, as I know boredom and complacency are my enemies and can lead to drinking.

Day 24 starts now. Working this morning/afternoon. Trying not to have a bad attitude about working a Sunday lunch in a Bible-thumping town. Glad to see people working up sober here in the July club, wish my message today didn't seem so drab and dreary.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good job everybody.
It's day 16 for me.
I'll have some challenges today, but I'll be fine.
I'm feeling way too good to fall off the wagon.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

I'm so happy to hear you're all doing so well

Ladybug , we're on the same days lets keep doing it

I have to comment on just getting normal everyday things done . It holds true for me too. Paying bills , buying food and neccesities. They where second to buying drugs. I'm still a bit disorganized but am pushing thru.

You all are the best , your shares are insiring me

Good Sunday all

Tr
Old 08-11-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Happy sober Sunday everyone! I'm on day 18 I think...been finding this weekend tough. Very hard on Friday after work - met my boyfriend to go to a show (there's a huge Arts Festival on here) which didn't start til 6.45pm. The sun was shining and everyone was drinking beers and wine outside. My favourite time and place to drink - early evening after a week at work, and even more so in the rare sunshine! So I felt really angry that I can't just enjoy a drink like that as I sat in the beer garden with my coke. The show was great and I enjoyed it so much more than I would have had I been drinking beforehand, and afterwards we went for a great Indian meal.

I realise that a huge trigger for me, like others have mentioned, is hunger. I think in the past I used to drink and smoke to delay eating and stave off hunger pangs. Once I'm full, the urge to have a drink is gone (although before I stopped, if I'd started drinking before eating I'd just carry in during and after - something I never used to do a few years ago).
Today is another struggle - hosting a big family drinks and food where everyone will be drinking heavily, and probably trying to persuade me to as well. Not going to, but it's tough having that niggling AV saying go on, just have a few!

Sorry for the moany post, but it feels good to share it with people who understand
Old 08-11-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You're doing great, Silverbirch! Don't let that AV ruin the great stretch of days you have. Get a good non-alcoholic drink in your hand today and enjoy your hangover-free Monday!
Old 08-11-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Day 10 for me and really enjoying my weekend. I hate that there is a liquor near us that is open on Sundays now (noon to 5). It always gives AV a reason to come out and tempt me. After 5 I am fine. It even tries the old " just go get something so you have it, just in case. You don't HAVE to drink it". Yeah right, like if it is in the house I won't drink it? Funny how our mind (AV) tries to play tricks on us.

How is everyone else's Sunday going?
Old 08-11-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Happy sunday people.

Silverbirch - well done on day 18. As ladybug suggested, Get a good non-alcoholic drink in your hand

Day 18 for me, longest I've gone in probably 5+ years for sure.

I don't know about anyone else, but as I've been keeping myself so very active and busy I'm starting to think my problem probably wasn't much of a problem after all, and actually it wasn't that bad, and I doubt I'm an alcoholic, and I can probably drink again some time, and I only binged, its not like I was drinking every day or anything, and once in a while doesn't hurt right?... WELL, I'm not going to cave in. I'm staying sober!!! My last bad binge I couldn't get out of bed. I am not going back there.

Good going guys. It's great to hear you're all sober, and thank you for sharing your experiences

sicknote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well done everyone.

Monday morning here and the start of another sober week! Day 19 for me today.

Saturday night I went to a big birthday bash with involved a lot of drinking and yesterday, I had a number of people over for drinks and dinner. OMG it was hard, I felt so self conscious with a glass of mineral water in hand all evening and I felt like such a bore! But i'm now feeling so good in myself for having got through a challenging weekend without the wine. In a strange way I feel that I have turned a corner and there is no turning back!