Old 08-10-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
EndGameNYC
EndGame

Donald Winnicott, a British pediatrician, talks about "good enough mothering." If mother tends to all the infant's needs, then the child will not learn how to successfully engage and manage the challenges of life on its own. Same goes for young children. The mythological "perfect mommy" actually does more harm than good in terms of the child's development.

Compensating in every way for being an absentee parent is a harmful remedy for both mother and child.

You need rest? Get rest. You're not a whole lot of good to anyone when you're exhausted. Your children will benefit from choosing what to do and how to do it without your being 100% present at all times. And they'll later love you for it.

Originally Posted by Bravegirl View Post
I stopped drinking Friday. Spent time with my kids yesterday. Today I'm being lazy. Even though my body is saying REST woman....I keep feeling like I should get up and do something with them. Is it ok to take this time to read and work on me? Should I feel bad? Thinking I will take them to a movie later. I have terrible mom guilt. I hold myself to unrealistic standards thinking I have to be the perfect parent all the time. Probably another reason I drank! Who can be perfect all the time! Dont want to drink just don't want to feel guilty.