View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013, 04:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
drunkyjules
Jules

To me sobriety has been trying the right mix of keeping busy but finding time to relax as well. Having a structured day, more of a schedule. Putting some commitments on the table - like if I plan to go meet a friend for lunch then I can't start drinking because then I wouldn't make it or if I did be drunk. I went to AA meetings a lot in the first couple months. Kept a journal of how I was feeling so I could see I do feel good and bad and feelings pass. Eating healthier and exercise also helps a lot.

To me isolation is probably one of the biggest triggers. I can be at home all day doing chores etc. but at a certain point I have to get out of the house and see other people and do something, sometimes being in my own head alone is the worst place for me.

I would suggest being really gentle with yourself. Its going to be hard at first and these emotions come up and for me I just wanted to drowned them. In the beginning keep it basic - if the one thing you do is stay sober all day and that's it then that is an accomplishment.

You can do this. Its so worth it. I can't express how much better life is without that dark cloud hanging over my head. Life still happens - I just deal with it differently now.